Thursday, April 23, 2009

"The heritage of those who fear your name..."

I am awed at the words that David wrote in Psalm 61 some 3,000 years ago. They are words that echoed the cry of my soul also on some of my life's most difficult days. Word pictures that helped me to hold on to God.

Verses 1-3: Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,

(the beach is the end of the earth, right???)

I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher
than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the
foe."


Psalm 61:5 "For you have heard my vows, O God; you have
given me the heritage of those who fear your name."

And this cry from verse 5 was also on my lips--a prayer for my children from a broken home to come to God; to devote their lives to Christ; to give their all for the Kingdom of God.

Too many people today think of heritage as wealth or property passed from generation to generation. I know my parents wanted to "leave me something", and they did. They were people of faith and lived out their lives faithful to God till the end. I have the sure faith that they live eternally in heaven. That is the heritage I pass on to my children. I go back to that cry from scripture that my children will hold fast to God's hand when their difficult days come, when they need a strong tower. I believe that their faith can grow deeper and stronger than mine. That God will lead them to places I have not yet seen, and multiply their influence for the building of the kingdom of God. God is allowing me today to see that happening in their young adult lives. It is a gift; an answer to my cries from 10 years ago.

Your children may be young. But it is not to early to pass on to them your stories of faith and your prayers, that they will follow your heritage of honoring Christ whatever comes and that they will choose to invest their all for His Kingdom.

3 comments:

Hall Family said...

Great Post Gaylin! Love ya bunches!

cathy hudler said...

hey! Thanks for your prayers about the house! I, too, pray that the faith of my kids outweighs and outlasts my own faith and that they make a much bigger impact on God's kingdom than I have been able to do. I guess we always want more for our kids, even in their spiritual lives. In fact, I want that more than anything else for them! Thank you for helping them to reach these goals. Love ya

wendi said...

Thanks for the challenges and for the inspiration you give! I am blessed by you immensely!