Monday, April 16, 2012

No memories

I have absolutely no memories of April 12 or April 13, 2011. The evening before I had been rushed to two different hospital Emergency Departments in two different ambulances. These trips were not on my calendar and I did not even request them. On both of those days I had surgeries on my brain without being on the schedule.  I was assigned an awesome surgeon without doing research online about him. I was given a bed in Neuro ICU at North Carolina's Baptist Hospital and treated like an honored guest.  The nurses who cared for me were kind and gentle, even when I complained.  My family and friends came from great distance just to see me although I wasn't able to entertain them.

People at my church covered my jobs without complaining and the children prayed earnestly for me to improve and be able to return to church. All of this while I was unconscious. People also sat with my husband and sons during hours of waiting to see if I would even recognize them when I woke up. These dear ones used their God-given gifts to comfort, pray, and encourage. Some were shocked when they finally saw me since my surgeon had shaved my head (poorly by the way) and had slit my throat without even asking!  My face was swollen, one eye sagging. I looked rough! That alone slayed my vanity!

But God used all of this and 21 days in ICU WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF BED to prove to me something I studied in 1997 in Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby.  God is always at work around me.  He cared for my needs and sent His children to be His Hands and Feet.  I have never felt more loved.
And as Jesus reminded us in John 9:3  "...this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his (her) life." 

I still see and meet people who say with astonishment "You are a walking miracle. We prayed for you every day. God is so good." My life was not the only one touched.  God was at work all around. And we all marvel at God's plan to allow me to resume my life after a three month "rest." (another lesson: how to rest) I saw love in action through visits, cards, meals, prayers, phone calls, and tender smiles. Never doubt that God knows your needs and can meet them through the simple acts of His children. I have no memories. But never fear. He never sleeps (Psalm 121)

2 comments:

Mischia said...

What a great way to remember your anniverisary, focusing on the goodness of God.

Unknown said...

Such a powerful testimony of God's care and protection when you couldn't do anything to help yourself. Makes me wonder why we worry so much! Thanks for sharing this Gaylin!